EcoChic Design Award 2014/5
The EcoChic Design Award is a sustainable fashion design competition challenging emerging fashion designers to create mainstream clothing with minimal textile waste. The 2014/15 cycle is now open to designers across Hong Kong, Mainland China, Taiwan, Singapore, Malaysia, UK, France, Germany, Sweden and Denmark.
Following months of inspired design and rigorous judging, ten finalists will show their collections and compete for career-changing prizes at Hong Kong Fashion Week.
1st Prize – Design a capsule collection using up-cycled textiles for Shanghai Tang
Other prizes include learning resources from Bloomsbury, and The Ethical Fashion Forum and many other career boosting opportunities!
You are challenged to ‘re-orient’ your design palatte to reflect ‘Modern China Chic’ through your contemporary and wearable womenswear collection. This must celebrate the past, present and future fabric of China’s dynamic cultural and style influences in today’s global fashion stage in your design-centric collection that reflects style as much as sustainability.
You are designing for…
- A dynamic and modern woman aged 25-40 who has a sophisticated appreciation of China’s modern style.
- She may be a cosmopolitan Chinese woman who embraces China’s creative and cultural influences as much as its booming economy. Or she may be an international woman who is well travelled and is as comfortable in a jumpsuit.
- She enjoys considered and conscious luxury, where focus is given to quality, tailoring and craftsmanship.
- She is conscientious about wastefulness in modern living and wishes to be clothed in ways that reflect her style as much as her sentiments about sustainability.You are then challenged to ‘re-orientate’ your approach to sustainability in order to put your collection’s sustainability credentials on the fashion frontline.Your sustainable designs must…
- Cut waste out of fashion by using one or more of the sustainable design techniques of zero-waste, up-cycling and reconstruction.
- Be made with textile waste for the up-cycling and reconstruction outfits.
If you want to make style and sustainability history then you have to…
- Design to win. Create three ready-to-wear outfit sketches (not complete outfits) for the open application. If you make the cut to become one of the ten finalists, you must make these three ready- to-wear outfits into complete outfits. To test you further, you must then create two additional complete ready-to-wear outfits and one couture outfit in order to make your mark on the runway.
- Impress the judges. Your designs will be scored in three categories (in the open application and semi- final) and four categories (in the grand final) each with equal weighting according to creativity and originality, sustainability, marketability and workmanship (final only).
- Designer must be 18 or over (as of application closing date of 15 August 2014)
- A current student or fashion designer with less than three years’ professional experience living in Hong Kong, Mainland China, Taiwan, Singapore, Malaysia, UK, France, Germany, Sweden or Denmark.
The application is open between 15 April – 15 August 2014.
Download the application form here: www.ecochicdesignaward.com/application/.
Answer all questions in English or Chinese only
Insert three photos of recent finished clothing designs in the form
Insert one moodboard for The EcoChic Design Award 2014/15 collection.
Insert three ready-to-wear designs with illustrations and technical drawings, plus relevant textile selection and zero-waste pattern if applicable.
Provide three short written statements.
Make sure the application size is 10MB or less.
Submit the application by email to the below relevant address before Friday 15 August, 2014 at 11.59pm (local time in your region).
For Hong Kong, Mainland China, Taiwan, Singapore and Malaysia applications:
For the UK, France, Germany, Sweden and Denmark applications: